Random Acts of Kindness Day, celebrated on February 17th each year, is a day dedicated to spreading kindness and positivity. The day encourages individuals to perform a random act of kindness, big or small, for someone in their community. This day was created by the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation, a small non-profit organisation that invests time, resources, and expertise in promoting kindness and making it the norm.
The benefits of kindness have been scientifically proven. When we show kindness towards others, our bodies produce more oxytocin, the hormone responsible for love and bonding. This hormone helps increase our overall sense of happiness and well-being, while decreasing stress, anxiety, and depression. Additionally, when we engage in acts of kindness, we increase our serotonin levels, which are responsible for feelings of satisfaction and contentment. It is a win-win situation for both the giver and the receiver of kindness.
If you are looking to participate in Random Acts of Kindness Day, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Do something nice for yourself. You can’t pour from an empty cup, and practicing self-care is an act of kindness towards yourself. Take a relaxing bath, read a book, or treat yourself to your favorite meal.
- Reach out to a friend or family member and let them know how much you care about them. A simple text message or phone call can make someone’s day and remind them that they are loved and appreciated.
- Compliment a stranger on their outfit or something you admire about them. It’s always nice to receive a genuine compliment, and it can brighten up someone’s day.
- Pay it forward. Whether you’re in a drive-thru or at a coffee shop, pay for the person’s order behind you. It’s a small act of kindness that can create a ripple effect of positivity.
- Volunteer your time or donate money to a charity. Giving back to your community is a great way to spread kindness and make a positive impact.
- Buy flowers for someone who may need a pick-me-up. Flowers are a simple yet effective way to brighten up someone’s day and show them that you care.
- Write a five-star online review for your favorite local shop or restaurant. It’s a great way to show your appreciation and support for small businesses.
- Bring in some sweet treats to your workplace to share with your colleagues. It’s a small gesture that can bring some joy to everyone’s day.
- Pick up any litter at your local park or playground. It’s an act of kindness towards both the environment and the community.
- Let a manager know about the great service you received from a good employee. It’s always nice to hear positive feedback, and it can make someone’s day to know that their hard work is appreciated.
- Be generous with likes and nice comments on social media. It’s a small yet effective way to spread positivity and kindness online.
Sometimes our self-confidence can stop us from wanting to do anything that can make us be noticed. Doing a small, random act of kindness can be a lovely way to start improving your feelings of self-confidence and self-worth as you realise that what you do really does have a positive impact upon the world. Of course, for many people, simply doing nice things for themselves and others isn’t going to be enough to shift long term negative patterns of self-belief. That’s where hypnotherapy can help.
“After sessions with a hypnotherapist you may feel more confident; more relaxed in situations that have previously challenged you,” says the National Council for Hypnotherapy (NCH). “Hypnotherapy unlocks the potential you have to break free of negative thought patterns, and to react more positively and more confidently to situations in your life that may have previously made you anxious.”
You can find a fully-trained, accredited and insured hypnotherapist near you by using the NCH directory.